Demonstrating extreme toughness and durability, BFGoodrich Tires dominated the 27th Annual Mastercraft Safety Tecate SCORe San Felipe 250 capturing a podium sweep and bringing in the top 11 finishers in the featured Trophy Truck class as well as the top three Class 1 vehicles in Mexico.
In total BFGoodrich Tires had 19 of the top 20 finishers and took titles in 11 of the 12 Pro four-wheel classes.
Tavo Vildosola and his father Gustavo captured the victory in their Red Bull Ford Raptor. The team from just two hours north in Mexicali captured the win in a time of 4 hours and 13 minutes and cruised with an average speed of nearly 60 mph. The win marks the 21st consecutive and 23rd overall San Felipe 250 victory for BFGoodrich Tires and 77th overall win in Baja. All teams running BFGoodrich Tires used the Baja T/A KR.
Just behind the Vildosola team was the Menzies Motorsports Ford F150 of Team BFGoodrich member Bryce Menzies. Two-time defending San Felipe 250 winner and also a Team BFGoodrich member Rob MacCachren rounded out the podium spots for BFGoodrich Tires with a third place finish.
"We started 10th and we just got our own pace and we were very comfortable with that," said Vildosola, Jr. after the race. "We were about 50 seconds ahead of Bryce at race mile 248 and finished clean run we had no issues. BFGoodrich takes the top three spots, we are very happy about that."
Through the grueling washes and rugged terrain of this 253 mile course, BFGoodrich Tires further proved its leadership position as the most dependable off road racing tire as it ran on 18 of the top 20 overall. A total of 176 of the 250 total racers finished the race in the allotted 12-hour time limit.
While Menzies pulled his truck in before any other finishers, his corrected time by SCORe officials placed him second overall. Menzies continues his strong push in desert series racing after taking the SCORe Championship in 2011 and the Traxxas TORC Series Pro 2 championship in 2011 and 2012.
"This race course is brutal - definitely rough in the beginning and then we cross the highway and run on new stuff we haven't run," said Menzies. "It's super fun and super technical through some washes. I love being down here in Baja. BFG is a huge part of my program. The tire performed amazing as we put it to the test and it withheld all the beating we threw at it. I didn't have one flat all day and were able to pit later than most teams because the tires can last longer which is a huge advantage. When I won my championship I only had one flat the whole year which is a huge testament to them."
Rounding out the top five, all on BFGoodrich Tires were Mexican native Juan Lopez finishing fourth and Mark Weyhrich finished fifth. Weyhrich, after starting first and falling back behind the field illustrated the difference the tires made today saying, "The worst part coming into those last washes with all those rocks is that I knew I was going to end up in fourth because everyone in front of me had BFG's and I knew they weren't going to get flats."
"There has been some talk amongst the ‘Dirt Nation' faithful that BFGoodrich has retreated from its former dominance in off-road motorsports," said Chris Baker, BFGoodrich Motorsports Director. "We beg to differ. Our performance in San Felipe says it loud and clear - we haven't gone anywhere and we aren't going anywhere. Take it to the bank."
Final results with BFGoodrich drivers in BOLD
- Gus Vildosola/Gus Vildosola Jr, Mexicali, Mexico, Ford Raptor, 4:13:39 (59.85 mph) (SCORe Trophy Truck)
- Bryce Menzies, Las Vegas/Jesse Jones, Phoenix, Ford F-150, 4:18:36 (SCORe Trophy Truck)
- Rob MacCachren, Las Vegas, Ford F-150, 4:22:23 (SCORe Trophy Truck)
- Juan C. Lopez, Tecate, Mexico, Chevy Silverado, 4:23:11 (SCORe Trophy Truck)
- Mark Weyhrich/Gary Weyhrich, Troutdale, Ore., Ford F-150, 4:24:09 (SCORe Trophy Truck)
- Tim Herbst, Las Vegas/Larry Roeseler, Boulevard, Calif., Ford F-150, 4:30:33 (SCORe Trophy Truck)
- Cody Parkhouse, Garden Grove, Calif./Brian Parkhouse, Long Beach, Calif., Jimco-Chevy 4:34:41 (Class 1)
- Jesse Jones, Phoenix/Bryce Menzies, Las Vegas, Ford F-250, 4:40:25 (SCORe Trophy Truck)
- Jimmy Knuckles, Brawley, Calif., Ford F-150, 4:43:08 (SCORe Trophy Truck)
- Randy Wilson, Long Beach, Calif./John Herder, Tucson, Ariz., Jimco-Chevy, 4:44:24 (Class 1)
- Nick Vanderwey, Phoenix/Larry Vanderwey, Litchfield Park, Ariz., Chevy Silverado, 4:46:34 (SCORe Trophy Truck)
- Craig Potts, Scottsdale, Ariz., Chevy Silverado, 4:46:51 (SCORe Trophy Truck)
- Zak Langley, Santa Monica, Calif., Ford F-150, 4:48:15 (SCORe Trophy Truck)
- Luke McMillin, el Cajon, Calif., Jimco-Chevy 4:49:38 (Class 1)
- B.J. Baldwin, Las Vegas, Chevy Silverado, 4:50:34 (SCORe Trophy Truck)
- Ronny Wilson, Long Beach, CA, 4:54:52 Chevy (Class 1)
- Ken Losch, Phoenix, Chevy Silverado, 4:56:01 (SCORe Trophy Truck)
- Jesse Ashcraft, San Marcos, Calif./Adam Ashcraft, Vista, Calif., Ford F-150, 5:03:55 (SCORe Trophy Truck)
- Sergio Salgado, Mexicali, Mexico, Ford Raptor, 5:12:01 (SCORe Trophy Truck)
- Gary Weyhrich/Mark Weyhrich, Troutdale, Ore., Ford F-150, 5:19:47 (SCORe Trophy Truck)
BFGoodrich Tires is dedicated to providing high performance tires for those who have a passion for driving in virtually any environment. Combining technical expertise with 50 years of motorsports experience, BFGoodrich delivers tires for a full range of driving experiences from ultra-high performance street to off-road terrain with one common theme – extreme performance. Come upgrade your performance with BFGoodrich and see where our tires can take you at www.BFGoodrichTires.com, www.BFGoodrichRacing.com, as well as on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram at @BFGoodrichTires.